Packing Tips and Packing FAQ Answered by Professional Boston Movers
What is that best way to pack dishes for moving or storage?
- Use plenty of packing paper. Newspaper works great. Crumple up the pieces and make a layer the bottom of the box. Tuck the paper in the sides of the box after you’ve loaded the dishes in so that nothing can move around.
- Don’t put your plates or bowls in flat. Put your dishes in the box resting on their standing edge.
- Use a dish barrel box for packing (pictured on the left). Dish barrels are boxes specifically designed with double-walled extra protection for china, antiques or fragile items. If you are packing using a dish barrel, work heaviest to lightest. Heavier items go in first so they don’t put too much weight on the lighter, more fragile items.
Should I disassemble my furniture when I move, or leave it together?
- Taking apart heavier or larger items like bed frames, tables, or shelving can save you time and space, especially on a long distance or interstate move, when you only want to make one trip.
- Be sure you keep all the parts together! If it is a complex piece of furniture, consider making a diagram to help you put it back together afterward.
- You can also have movers come in in advance to disassemble your furniture on a packing day, or on the day of the move. Be sure to communicate with your movers to discuss your needs ahead of time.
What packing materials are best? Are packing peanuts bad?
- Packing peanuts are more for mailing. News paper, paper pads and cardboard are good for moving. Packing peanuts can cause motion of items inside the box, which can lead to damage.
- Professional movers use “clean newsprint” paper. If you are packing fragile items yourself you can use recycled printed newspaper that you have at home.
- Think twice about bubble wrap as well. Wrapping things with bubble wrap can cause compression breakage.
When packing, be sure that all of your boxes are loaded with heavier items in the bottom of the box. Properly packed boxes ensure the safety of your belongings, and your moving crew. If you do not have time to pack, or are unsure how to pack large, awkward, or fragile items, contact our crew at Pony Express to learn about packing services. Our professionals will come in before your moving day, and go room to room packing your belongings for safe travel. Call us today to learn more about our moving and packing services, local or long distance. We are located in Jamaica Plains Boston and we have moved our clients all over the country including New York City, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and Chicago. Call today at 617-983-8700 or e-mail us email@example.com.